Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Happy Birthday Pops ~ I Miss You!

Today is my grandfather's birthday. He passed away ten years ago this upcoming October (which was just four months after my grandmother passed away. I miss them both so much.) Pops (Herbert C. Atzenhoffer) was the kindest, sweetest, warmest gentleman that I've ever known (next to my dad, of course. :) ) He was a towering giant, but as gentle as could be. I never saw him get mad. He was always calm, cool & collected. I've been told that I'm a lot like him ~ and to me, that's the biggest compliment ANYONE could ever give me. My only regret is that Zach didn't get the chance to really know his "Great Pops" as he was only 18 months old when Pops passed away.

Something I've not shared with anyone yet -- not even my family -- but you may remember that last month I completed the Aramco Half Marathon. Well, although my chip time was 3:04, the time that showed on the clock as I crossed the finish line was 3:16. Pops' favorite Bible verse was John 3:16 ~

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

I fully believe that on that day ~ at that moment ~ my grandfather was cheering me on and celebrating my successful finish to my first half marathon.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, POPS! I'll be thinking about you even more today! Sending hugs up your way!

No comments:

Post a Comment